Silver Quality

S T E R L I N G  S I L V E R  &  S I L V E R  P L A T E

Sterling Silver and Silver PlatedFor hundreds of years craftsmen have made beautiful objects from silver. This long tradition makes it possible to find treasures near and far, but has also led to some confusing terminology.  We believe much of the enjoyment of owning and using silver comes from understanding the history and quality of your purchase.   We sell only the finest sterling silver and silver plate, and offer you a quick guide to understanding silver:



Hallmark ExamplesA silver object for commercial sale is, in most countries, stamped with one or more marks indicating the purity of the silver, the manufacturer or silversmith, and other (optional) markings to indicate date of manufacture and additional information about the piece.


S T E R L I N G  S I L V E R

Sterling Silver Candy Dish"Sterling silver" by definition is 92.5% (.925) parts silver.  The remaining 7.5% is copper to provide strength and reinforcement. British Silver:  All our British silver has a British hallmark -- the British government's guarantee that it is genuine sterling.  The British sterling hallmark is provided by the British Assay office, an independent government office and not the factory where the silver is produced. Italian Silver:  Feinberg also stocks select sterling silver made by the finest Italian silversmiths.  All of our Italian sterling silver has the Italian hallmark to assure you it is genuine .925 sterling silver.


S I L V E R  P L A T E

Silver Plate BoxSilver plate is the process of bonding an extremely thin layer (measured in microns) of silver to a base metal.  The most common base metals used are copper, brass, white metal, or nickel. Feinberg English Silver uses only the finest British and European factories for our silver plate products.  Our products are made to commercial standards of silver plating.  This means our silver plate has between 10 to 50 microns of silver over a metal base.  We source our silver plate products from Europe, avoiding typical silver plate from Asia where 1 micron or less can quickly wear through to the base metal.


E N G L I S H  A N T I Q U E S 

Antique English Silver Fruit Bowl Marvin Feinberg is well known among the finest dealers of silver antiques, and his reputation and long-standing relationships give him access to the finest pieces at the best prices during his annual buying trips to Europe.  Feinberg's antique collection is guaranteed to offer the best quality, genuine English and Italian silver.